Notes to Download: Sin Transgression and Iniquity in Soul Body and Spirit
Daniel 9:24 “Seventy weeks are determined upon thy people and upon thy holy city, to finish the transgression, and to make an end of sins, and to make reconciliation for iniquity, and to bring in everlasting righteousness, and to seal up the vision and prophecy, and to anoint the most Holy.”
Exodus 34 v7 And the LORD passed before him and proclaimed, “The LORD, the LORD God, merciful and gracious, long-suffering, and abounding in goodness and truth, keeping mercy for thousands, forgiving iniquity and transgressionand sin, by no means clearing the guilty, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children and the children’s children to the third and the fourth generation.”
This indicates that sin, transgression and iniquity are different in some way. In fact, they represent increasing levels of falling “short of the glory of God” (Romans 3:23).
We can see from Leviticus 16:21 and the Strong’s Numbers associated with the King James translation that these are indeed three different words.
Leviticus 16:21 and Aaron shall lay both his hands upon the head of the live goat, and confess over him all the iniquities (H= 5771) of the children of Israel, and all their transgressions, (H = 6588) even all their sins; (H = 2403) and he shall put them upon the head of the goat, and shall send him away by the hand of a man that is in readiness into the wilderness:
DEFINITIONS OF SIN
Strong’s Dictionary: H2403 (Sin): an offense [i.e. a single event] – · Sin is anything that comes short of the glory of God
The English word for “Sin” comes from archery. The archer would shoot at the target. If he missed the mark, the overseeing official would yell “SIN.”
Romans 3:23 “For all have sinned and come short of the glory of God.”
Hebrew Meaning of Sin: 1) Slipping away from where you should be. 2) Erring from the path on which God’s put you. 3) You are not achieving a standard that God has set. 4) Missing the mark or the path.
Greek Meaning of Sin: 1) A missing of the mark. 2) An act of disobedience to the divine Lord.
3) Sin is not too deep seated if it is not linked with an iniquity. 3) Sin is more on top of the skin.
Sin — “The voluntary departure of a moral agent from a known rule of rectitude or duty, prescribed by God; any voluntary transgression of the divine law, or violation of a divine command.
Sin is either a positive act in which a known divine law is violated, or it is the voluntary neglect to obey a positive divine command, or a rule of duty clearly implied in such command. Sin comprehends not actions only, but neglect of known duty, all evil thoughts, purposes, words and desires, whatever is contrary to God’s commands or law.”
Bible Definitions of Sin:
- I John 3:4 “Whosoever commits sin transgresses also the law; for sin is the transgression of the law” (Quoted Numbers 5:6).
- I John 5:17 “All unrighteousness is sin:” (unrighteousness— cf. Romans 6:13,18,20).
- Romans 14:23 “Whatsoever is not of faith is sin.”
- Proverbs 24:9 “The thought of foolishness is sin…”
- Psalms 78:32 “For all this they sinned still, and believed. not for his wondrous works” (unbelief— quoted Deuteronomy 1:41).
- James 4:17 “[T]o him that knows to do good, and doeth it not, to him it is sin” (omission— cf. Genesis 20:9; Leviticus 5:1).
Hebrews 10:26 “For if we sin willfully… there remains no more sacrifice for sins,”
Sins of Ignorance:
- Leviticus 4:13 “And if the whole congregation of Israel sin through ignorance, and the thing be hid from the eyes of the assembly, and they have done somewhat against any of the commandments of the Lord…”
- Leviticus 4:2 “[I]f a soul shall sin through ignorance against any of the commandments…”
- I Samuel 12 v 23 Moreover as for me far be it from me that I should sin against Jehovah in ceasing to pray for you: but I will instruct you in the good and the right way.